A grade school was organized on July 22, 1871 and was located 1/2 mile south and 1 1/2 miles west of the present town of Benton. In this school house the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in late 1872 or 1873. In 1885 a new Methodist church was built on the northeast corner of Henrie and Wichita and served the people of Benton until it burned down in 1929. In 1931 a new building was built and served as the Methodist Church until 2007 when the New building was built at Main and Hwy 254. The old Methodist Church building was sold and is currently still used as a Church.
The Benton Christian Church was organized in 1875 in a little school house so small it was known as the "pill box". This school was located on the J.L. Glancey farm northeast of Benton. Later the Enterprise School was built on the same farm and the church held their meetings there until 1884 when they dedicated a new church on the present site.
Sometime before 1900 the Presbyterian Church was built in the 200 block of south Wichita street. Approximately 1924 it was moved to a farm south of Benton and made into a barn.
In 1883 or 1884 Benton School was moved into the Langdon Building on the west side of Main Street. In two years a new frame building was erected on the present site of the grade school grounds and in 1885 school was held in the new building.
The joint Benton High School and Grade School was built in 1911. A gymnasium and classrooms were added in 1922. The new grade school building and auditorium were erected in 1954. The High School building was torn down in 1964 and more grade school classrooms were added. Benton schools consolidated into the Unified District #375 in 1961 leaving only eight grades at Benton with all High School students attending Circle High in Towanda.
Back to Page 1